Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Featured Artist: Ellemar Designs


Visit her shop at ellemardesigns.etsy.com


How did you get started with your craft?
I've always enjoyed creating with my hands - drawing, painting, clay, cross-stitch, and various other crafts - since I first discovered crayons as a little kid. I began working on ceramics a little over a year ago, at a local studio, and was hooked instantly. Right now the ceramics share equally with my interest in drawing/painting.

What's your favorite material to work with?
My favorite materials are extra fine point Micron markers for the drawings, and Mayco glazes in a fine-tip squeeze bottle for the ceramics. I've used craft acrylics for the few paintings I've done, and I can see that I'll have to learn a lot more about using different kinds of acrylics as I experiment as an artist.

Tell me a random fact about you.
I'm an avid gardener and I love to read about gardening (especially now, in the white of winter in the northeast).

Any advice for new Etsy users?
Take the best photos you can, and write the best descriptions you can. Love what you do, and do it to the best of your ability. Quality and presentation MATTER. And have fun!

Let's hear the condensed version of your life. . .
I'm a married lady with a great husband and two kids, a former special ed teacher who now home schools her own kids, and a nature nerd and history geek with a menagerie of pets. I'm just starting to discover myself as an artist, and really enjoying the process. Etsy is allowing me to learn and grow more than I would have ever guessed a year ago.

No comments: